Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tasty Food for Turning on the Internet

Just got back from helping an older person set up their net connection. They had tried many times to get it going but could not get the modem to detect. Our custom net config utility had come across one of those 'freaky' modems and needed some manual input. Our client did not know what to put for modem location so didn't. Needless to say it didn't work.

When I arrived I checked the cables (very messy) and assumed the phone line was good to go (it certainly looked like it). The utility did not auto-detect, i manually plugged in /dev/ttyS1. It still did not work. I double checked the cables. This time I followed the phone cable and found it going into the network card on the computer. Doh! When I patched everything in the right way the modem was able to connect to her ISP.

The lady was very happy as she could now send emails to her family. As I was leaving she gave me a slice of cheesecake and some leek and potato pastry slice. The food was a very nice gesture for my efforts. It was also very yummy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment