Monday, April 05, 2010

Peritoneal Dialysis and Shoulder Tip Pain - Ouch!

I've been laid up this Easter. Not really a bad thing because I need the rest, but I've been in major pain. There was a whole bunch of things I wanted to do; screencasting, documentation and distro work.

This time it is my own fault because I thought I had primed my dialysis machine - but hadn't. Air got into my peritoneum and caused the worst bout of shoulder tip pain ever. 48 hours of it - I still have slight pain now. Must have been a lot of air. I won't be doing that again!

For those looking for a way to alleviate this kind of pain - lay on your back so your shoulders are lower than your abdomen - use a pillow. Mostly you just have to wait for the air to dissolve out.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that dialysis could be painful. I've always expected medical professionals to prep and execute those procedures. I guess it's possible to do it on yourself though. I don't think I'd have the guts!
    http://bakersfieldkidneys.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:29 am

    Everything is very open with a clear explanation of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your website is very useful.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete