Saturday, November 25, 2017

Personal best today - longest dialysis bleed ever!

Today was a crazy day at our dialysis centre. The staff were kept on their toes. We had two emergencies. I won't elaborate except to say everything turned out okay in the end.

For me, I set a new personal best record. I usually have trouble with bleeding at the end when the needles come out. I have had to be moved into a 'special' area so the unit could still run a dialysis session/seat for the next person requiring treatment. This happens to me a bit. Today I took 1 hour and 45 mins to stop. I think that is my longest time.

I need a fistula intervention as I have a blockage/narrowing in it. It is getting worse by the week. Finally something is happening next Monday. This is a new reason as to why I'm bleeding a lot more. The other one is that I am on warfarin blood thinners as I have antiphospholipid syndrome (APS or Hughes syndrome) and have had several thrombotic events. Such a fun combination for a dialysis patient. Not.

Here is a picture of the front entrance of the dialysis clinic I attend 3 days a week, sometimes for as long as 7 hours! It's kind of like going to work. As explained in earlier post I tend to do online work while I do dialysis. One handed typing is slower but I'm fairly quick and pretty handy with keyboard shortcuts.

St Vincent's Community Dialysis Centre, Gertrude St, Fitzroy
St Vincent's Community Dialysis Centre, Gertrude St, Fitzroy

No comments:

Post a Comment