Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Another haemodialysis bleeding record! 2 hours and still going!

Today was another bad one. Just as I was scheduled for the fistulogram and plasty due to a major blockage and narrowing in my fistula. For those not worried about viewing surgical procedures, here is a short video of a fistulogram.

I had dialysis before the procedure but at the end the bleeding from the arterial port just wouldn't stop. It was spurting at times, a lot of pressure.

It doesn't help that I'm also on blood thinners. Today we ran my dialysis session heparin/clexane free to minimise bleeding.

The team in day procedures was calling the dialysis unit constantly wondering where I was. In the end I had to be wheeled over to the surgery while my arm was still at risk of bleeding if we let go (we also had a clamp at this stage, I had to hold it on secure). My nurse and our SSA were fantastic. Big thanks to them and all back at the dialysis unit.

The surgeon advised he would stitch my fistula to stop the bleed. 

Fistulagram and plasty (after)Here is a picture of my arm after the surgery. Looking quite nasty.

Apparently this is quite a short fistula, we need to be cautious when needling it. The bit I have circled in pink is a bruise that has developed after the surgery. I'm keeping an eye on it.

I'm now home which is a relief as I wasn't sure if I'd get  home. I'm  back at dialysis on Thursday.

Thanks also to all the team involved in the procedure. Hopefully I won't be breaking any bleeding records for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment