Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Got another USB heated vest to wear at dialysis.

After giving up on getting the Heller heated vest working again as the wiring broke I decided to purchase a new USB heated vest.

Without the heated vest, I've been really freezing at my haemodialysis treatment sessions (even with three blankets). The heated vest I'd been using really made a big difference in the comfort department. Having to sit reasonably still for 4.5 hours with two big needles in my left arm, isn't exactly a walk in the park. Being able to stay warm gives a boost to being able to be positive about having to do dialysis treatments.

I ordered a vest via ebay AU - for $61 AUD - it arrived quickly. While it was shipped from NSW, it came from China or Hong Kong and clocked up some serious travel miles.  The vest works off a powerbank. It works off my existing Heller battery (which does still work). The vest itself has a button panel on the front to control the heat setting and to control how many heat panels are working. There are 8 heat panels in total - 6 on the back and 2 on the front.

At first I didn't get which setting was the high setting so I initially assumed it was only warm. After figuring out how to operate the vest and turning on the high setting...the vest is very toasty. Just on first initial try, this is better than the Heller heated vest.

The one drawback is the small pocket where the USB connection cord is - my powerbank just fits in it, but the pocket can't be closed. The Heller battery power pack from the broken vest, fits perfectly. I'm yet to figure out how this will work with it - the Heller battery had controls to drive the heat setting in the old vest.

I can't believe that this vest can be washed with the USB cord in it. I don't trust that claim and will do further research on it. I will also provide another update for this visit, very early days, only having just got it. Looking forward to being warm again when I attend my treatment session tomorrow morning for start time of 7.30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment