Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sleeping with Serena the PD Machine

I had my first night on the Gambro PD machine "Serena." I wasn't really sure what to expect, I had heard the machines were noisy. Serena is very quiet, you can hardly hear it.

Serena has a touch screen and easy to understand menus. It is very easy to operate. The procedure for hooking up is very different to the manual exchanges. Serena needs to be primed before use to ensure all the lines are ready to go. I've included a picture of serena all primed and ready to go.

Overnight I run through 5 cycles, almost 8 litres passes in and out of my peritoneum over an 8 and a half hour period. While it is too early to tell, unlike with manual exchanges, I did not feel a thing while the machine was draining and filling. Yay!

Being on the overnight system frees up my days and means I don't have to lug medical equipment and fluid bags with me. Another Yay! The main thing is to remember to get to bed on time. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kylie I hope the overnight machine continues to make dialysis easier for you.

    jan_s

    ReplyDelete