Sunday, December 02, 2007

Tenchoff catheter ready to go

Last week I had a tenchoff catheter put in so I can start dialysis in a few weeks.

I spent two days in hospital and was quite sick. I was also mostly out of it. My blood pressure hit the roof, people were worried I was going to have a heart attack.

I'm still not feeling that great and I have limited mobility. Now I am at home my blood pressure has mostly settled. I have the 'hospital in the home' service visit me for a week. That has been great...not having to travel around for tests and so forth. St V's Hospital was a great place to recover, the nursing staff and doctors looked after me well.

Next week i go to get my dressings attended to. I think they also flush my lines as well. I don't start dialysis for about two-three weeks. The area where they put the catheter in needs time to heal.

For those who want to know more see these links:

Cute baby with tenchoff catheter

Wikipedia info on peritoneal dialysis

I'll post a picture of my tenchoff catheter in the next few days.

The dialysis is for the short term, in the longer term I am looking to have a kidney transplant. Members of my family (mum) are having tests to see if they will be a suitable living donor.

I'll try and keep people posted via my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment