Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Training for Peritoneal Dialysis

I had my first session around doing Peritoneal Dialysis (PD). It seems like a lot to do but once I've done it heaps it shouldn't take too long to get the hang of.

The big thing is contamination. I have to be ultra careful not to touch my catheter cap while doing 'exchanges'. An exchange is what we call the process of taking out fluid and putting it back in.

Towards the end of a drain it gets a little uncomfortable for me. Apparently as I am young, this is common. You kind of feel a little bloated when the fluid is in. The fluid can come out with a tinge of yellow or it can even be darker. A cloudy fluid indicates infection. Peritonitis is something i really don't want to get.

I have anti bacterial hand wash and some avaguard lotion. Before connecting and disconnecting I need to use the avaguard.

I have plenty of PD supplies, they take up a lot of space at our house. Each fluid bag is 2L. I think I am shipped supplies on a two week basis. I am using the Gambro solution.

I'm planning on writing up a PD how-to, I'll post it here when I am done. I receive more training tomorrow so should have it down pat by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment